Experience and Skills
Education & Experience
Born in the United Kingdom, Al Douglas is a highly trained professional in his field of work and educated holistically: creatively, culturally, spiritually, morally, physically, technologically, and intellectually.
He has worked in Marketing, Events, Sales and Business Development for The Coca-Cola Company, VF Corporation, Halewood International and The Rock Garden. Furthermore, Al has dedicated his career to exploring what makes his business breakthrough to the next level of success, and his impressive client list shows that he has cracked it – it includes:
- Apple, British Airways, Marshall Amps, The Coca-Cola Company, Harrods, Coutts & Co, The Ivy, Sennheiser, Hard Rock Cafe, BAFTA and Merlin Entertainment (See Case Study).
Al’s mother was a nurse and his father was a major multiple London nightclub owner. Al was brought up in the hard-working world of entertainment and consumer marketing whilst also following in the footsteps of his two sisters by studying psychology’.
‘My Psychology honours degree has taught me to think clearly and independently and to embrace ethical values and integrity.’
‘I’m a business consultant in the Live Events, Lifestyle & Entertainment sector with 20+ years of communications and marketing experience across brands, content, live music & fine art events, networking and addressing the professional needs of business and lifestyle High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI). Additionally, I have a keen interest in Human and Brand Behaviour and Mental Health aka Psychology.’
‘If you haven’t guessed, I love coming up with wild ideas and bringing them to life, in work I’ve been known as ‘The Fixer’. What makes me after sought after consultant by global brands and clients is that I make complex matters very simple. I have excellent work experience working for global brands and clients, writing winning creative proposals that have enabled me to strategically assess opportunities from different angles. Additionally, applying brand psychology to the client’s projects produces how the client wishes the customer to engage – I call it choice architecture – additionally providing analysis, solutions and general marketing expertise for clients to further develop their brand.’
These building blocks have given Al Douglas the capacity to endure and persevere. He has developed good judgment and knows where and how to focus his attention.
Certificates & Degrees
BSc Psychology (Honours/ Bachelors) 4 yr study
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) & OU
Psychology is a multifaceted discipline and includes many sub-fields of study such areas as a child to adult development, sports, health, clinical, social behaviour and cognitive processes. It is the scientific study of the mind and behaviour. In many ways, these objectives are similar to the kinds of things you probably do every day as you interact with others.
Strategic Entrepreneurship & Innovation – Online Foundation degree
King’s College London
Entrepreneurship: From Business Idea to Action. Understanding and managing entrepreneurship and innovation to lead innovative teams and organisations around the world. An enhanced understanding of business and improved skills in learning how to apply business concepts and ideas to different contexts within an entrepreneurship ecosystem.
Business Excellence (Diploma):
Profiling Organisational Culture and Climate for Growth. Effective Participation in Meetings, Presentation skills and Negotiating Skills, Career Counselling and Coaching, Team Assessment and Development.
Management Development (Diploma):
Assertiveness at Work, Stress Risk Assessment & Interventions, Time Management, Creative Problem Solving, How to Assess & Develop Emotional Intelligence.
A detailed training course taken at VF Corp on retail budgets, merchandising and presentation:-
Face-to-face and group presentations, space management, merchandise display, and team delegation.
Disclosure Scotland certificate (qualifies for the PVG Scheme)
If an employer wants to hire someone, they can ask Disclosure Scotland for a certificate that gives details via access to a range of police data, and data from other sources. This will make it clear to the employer that a person has or has no convictions.
Disclosure Scotland also manages the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG). This is a membership scheme for people who work with children or vulnerable adults. Employers can check a member’s record at any time to make sure they’re still safe to work with these groups.
Commercial Operations Director – Live Music, Art and Culture
Current Work Expertise and Skills
My hybrid consultant career involves being a great communicator, negotiator and networker for national and global clients in Commercial partnerships and Operations event services. I work with some of the world’s major brands being responsible for the professional operational delivery of events, matchmaking, networking, and projects for the entertainment, lifestyle and hospitality sector.
As a Commercial Director, my leadership role involves me being a great communicator and networker within the entertainment, hospitality and lifestyle industry.
I am a strong external voice for the clients that have negotiated partnership deals for Harrods, Hard Rock Café, BAFTA, British Airways and Sennheiser to name but a few. I have a thorough understanding of the asset mix and how brands can work together to generate a successful partnership. Furthermore, I have over 15+ years of experience developing a wide variety of relationships in sponsorships, partnerships, non-profits, start-ups, social enterprises and similar.
I comfortably know the way around PowerPoint, and able to influence stakeholders at all levels and have proven knowledge in identifying great mission-aligned partnerships and managing ongoing relationships.
My Senior Operations role is responsible for the professional operational delivery of the brand’s national and global events (live music, art, networking, performance). For example negotiating, budgeting, planning and executing members events for Harrods, Coutts private banking, HNWI agents, various Embassies and the Ivy, which includes live music, production, catering, booking artists and budgets. I’ve organised, managed and hosted major and emerging live music events for Academy music group, Hardrock Café, Glendola Group, Merlin Entertainment, The Coca-Cola Company and Westfield to name but a few.
- I am an active partner in sustainability and look for opportunities to support and enhance the client’s sustainability initiatives.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and be respectful of other cultures.
- Manage event production (e.g., content and program development, design, AV production, vendor and agency management, logistics, invitations, promotions, official contractors etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire and motivate others, thinking outside the box for creative solutions.
- Ability to anticipate problems and/or put contingency plans in place whilst managing multiple tasks simultaneously in a quick-moving environment.
- A proven ability to work to tight deadlines, with attention to detail under pressure is a prerequisite.
- Willingness and ability to travel/work across different time zones.
- Computer literate and proficient in the use of commonly used personal and business software.
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills. Novice in the French language.
- The Rock Garden & The International (London Hospitality and Events) – Senior Events and Marketing
- Halewood International (Global distiller and distributor of premium artisanal spirits) – Business Development & Events
- VF Corporation (American worldwide apparel and footwear company) – Business Development
- The Coca-Cola Company (American multinational beverage corporation) – Marketing, Events and Sales
Talk the Talk
Projects consulted on:
- Live music events
- Fine Art placement and exhibitions
- Members Clubs & HNWI Networking events
- Bar and Office interior and exterior design
- Staff/ personal mental health consultation
- Matchmaking/ Dating business development and mobile app
- Driving brand growth through marketing.
- Start-up, business premises/village
- Start-up music business
One of my favourite projects was working on behalf of The Coca-Cola Company, planning and organising Live music events for major and emerging music artists across the UK & Europe to promote Coca-Cola in live music entertainment. Limited edition Coca-Cola bottles were designed for each major artist and event.
Each major artist was supported by a local emerging artist. These events were a captivating and creative experience for all involved.
Mental Health & Brand Psychology
I have studied and enjoyed studying the core areas of psychology for four years at The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) & Open University – cognitive, biological, developmental, social, individual differences and business behaviours. I always had intended to merge my psychology education with my years of experience in the entertainment industry, to help people and brands understand why they do and feel the way they do socially and in business. Although I don’t have a magic wand, I’m experienced enough to offer suggestions, solutions and techniques to develop and or adjust a client’s current thoughts and or behaviour.
My education has helped me to have strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively understand the needs of clients and explain the treatment process to help them deal with the high and low point emotions in mental health, risk perception, decision-making in business psychology, plus the thought process and subconscious belief systems in everyday life.
Having some knowledge of how one’s mind works is a very helpful tool. Understanding cognitive neuroscience and the neural mechanisms of memory, attention and perception can improve a persons health and performance. Furthermore, in business, attention and perception can open new possibilities that a business didn’t realise was right in front of them. I have depth and breadth of knowledge of relevant psychological subject matter and awareness of the latest developments in this field of research to provide practical advice and solutions to make a positive impact in the lives of others and enable people to live full, satisfying and independent lives.
So if you are feeling stuck, trapped, unhappy or confused, I may be able to provide you with some tools to take action or get further help. It Is Good To Talk.
- Empowering people to eliminate obstacles, talk it through, gain clarity, set goals and that holds them accountable to achieve goals going forward
- Undertaking people’s assessments of physical, communication, interaction and cognitive skills
- Discovering and discussing the roots of people’s problems
- Planning and providing appropriate treatment and activities
- Advising people on how they can approach everyday tasks differently
- Adapting people’s environments, whether at home or work
I have learnt to put bias aside and know that everyone has a story. What’s yours?
Al Douglas has years of experience in various high value, active industries. He is the extra cog in business that introduces the smooth transition to solutions and creativity.
Al says, ‘Business is a combination of war and sport. It is only common sense to know that if you want to do big things, you will need better tools.’
In the business world, those who work hard will know or discover that success in life is never final and failure is never fatal. It’s courage that counts. Furthermore, there are no secrets to success.
It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from peers and failure. Each mistake one makes teaches us something new. An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail.
~ Al Douglas